Saturday, January 17, 2009

Socially Not-worked...er....Networked?

All right already, I've stepped into the realm of Facebook. I tired...er...tried MySpace but never really embraced it the way the music industry is now hanging on to it. Of course, now, rather than being a cool place to hang, MySpace has transitioned into a portal for indie music acts to post new songs in hopes they gain traction among the hipper-than-hip crowd. Which by the way, now considers MySpace to be "your father's website." And does dear old dad really want to see you sucking on a beer-bong, sporting a new pelvic tat and having your navel jewel polished by RanDee the pale-faced Goth? I guess everyone wants to be "seen." Never mind that these snaps may come back and bite you on the butt (your butt...the one tattooed with the profile of Marilyn Manson. Nice!) Anyone, everyone can see your MySpace. Enter Facebook.
Now only "friends" can view your pictorial adventures at Spring Break. Safer? Yes. Still, what's the obsession with wanting your 15 minutes of infamy? I guess it's always been a pounding urge in many of us to "be somebody!" Yo! I coulda' been somebody. Are we that desperate for fame? A basic need bubbling under along with food, clothing and shelter. Meh.
I guess it's just cool...and a lot of us just want to show the world exactly how "wacky" we are. I will say, there are some pretty creative videos I've seen posted on all the aforementioned social networks along with YouTube. But some? Just more candidates for a Darwin Award...numbskulls that continue chlorinating the gene pool. Anyway...back to Facebook. I now have a Facebook account and am lording over the social network kingdom. I have rekindled unnecessary acquaintances with superficial "friends" by posting a note on their virtual "wall"; and I have labored over their posted "status" reports ad nauseum (I really don't care to be updated on your whereabouts or your fractured feelings twice per hour...I've lived this long without knowing, I believe I can muddle through another day without knowing.) But to be honest, I am enjoying the Facebook experience. I have even added the Facebook app on my iPhone so I can receive status updates whether I'm shopping at Target or over-taxing my heart trekking up Cowles Mountain. Man, I am socially networked. So, I will continue to lurk, sneer, chuckle, grin and enjoy what now has become an obsession among 30, 40, 50, 60 somethings. My only lament is knowing that now that I am into Facebook it must be on it's way out.

No comments:

Post a Comment